Jerome Liebling Photographs on display at Hampshire College’s Liebling Center
Date: June 8 – 10, 2012
Gallery hours: TBD
Memorial service for Jerome Liebling
Sunday, June 10, 2012, at 1 p.m.
Hampshire College’s Robert Crown Center
Reception will follow in the Liebling Center
Click here for more information: http://www.hampshire.edu/news/Jerome-Liebling-Photography-Exhibition-Memorial.htm
Hampshire College invites the public to a tribute exhibition of Jerome Liebling photographs. Twenty-seven monumental images—many are over three feet wide—are on display in the Jerome Liebling Center for Film, Photography, and Video on campus through November 8.
The photographs are from the last exhibition Liebling curated of his own work, a summer 2010 show, “Capturing the Human Spirit,” at the Currier Museum of Art in Manchester, N.H.
Renowned photographer Liebling teamed up with master printer Jonathan Singer of Boston, using digital printing techniques to create these exceptional images from black-and-white and color-film negatives dating from 1947 to 1996. Details and definition are revealed in the monumental photographs that were hidden in prints one quarter their size.
On Sunday, October 30, the life and work of Jerome Liebling will be celebrated at a public memorial service at 1 p.m. in Hampshire’s Robert Crown Center. A reception will follow in the Liebling Center.
Liebling, who passed away July 27 at age 87, was among the founding professors of Hampshire College. He joined the faculty in 1969, before the College opened in fall 1970, and taught at Hampshire until his retirement in 1990.
His name graces the Jerome Liebling Center for Film, Photography, and Video—a centerpiece of the Hampshire College campus—because he was as gifted and influential as a teacher and mentor as he was as a photographer and filmmaker.
An event page has been set up on Facebook to enable friends and former students to share messages, information, and tributes with one another and with Liebling’s family as part of his memorial. Facebook page >>
A number of other displays of his work are on view in the Five College area and nationally:
– The Mead Museum of Amherst College has a tribute exhibition through October 30 of nine Liebling photographs from their permanent collection. More >>
– Smith College’s Art Museum has a tribute exhibition of 20 Liebling works from their permanent collection. More >>
– The Emily Dickinson Museum plans to exhibit selections from Liebling’s work to coincide with celebration of the poet’s birthday in December. More >>
– The Museum of Modern Art is currently exhibiting Liebling works from their permanent collection. More >>
– Three Liebling photographs will show at The Jewish Museum in New York City as part of “The Radical Camera: New York’s Photo League, 1936-1951,” running November 4, 2011, through March 25, 2012. More >>
– Liebling will be included in a memorial tribute at the Lucie Awards celebration of master photographers at Lincoln Center Ross Theater on October 24. More >>
– Two Liebling photographs are part of a show at the Mishkin Gallery at Baruch College, New York City, through October 26. More >>
For more information visit: http://www.hampshire.edu/news/in-memoriam-jerome-liebling.htm
No comments. Be the first.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.