Jerome Liebling - Photographer, Filmmaker and Teacher

Jerome Liebling: Brooklyn and Other Boroughs, 1946 -1996

downloadPhotography exhibition: April 24 – June 6th, 2015
Opening reception: Friday April 24th, 6 – 8 pm
Steven Kasher Gallery, 515 W. 26th Street, Floor 2, New York, NY 10001

For more info: http://www.stevenkasher.com/exhibitions/jerome-liebling-brooklyn-and-other-boroughs-1946-1996

Steven Kasher Gallery is proud to announce Jerome Liebling: Brooklyn and Other Boroughs, 1946 – 1996. This is the second exhibition of Liebling’s work at Steven Kasher Gallery. The show features 50 black and white and color photographs taken in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx over a five decade span. The exhibition highlights Liebling’s roots in, love for, and inspired representations of his home city.

Jerome Liebling (1924-2011) was born in Harlem and grew up poor in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. In 1942, Liebling quit his first semester at Brooklyn College to enlist in World War II, serving in the notoriously deadly glider infantry. The carnage he witnessed fueled his creative impulse to “figure out where the pain was…” Liebling returned to Brooklyn College in 1946 to study art under the G.I. Bill. Ad Reinhardt’s Bauhaus-influenced design classes honed his formal sensibility; documentary photographer Walter Rosenblum opened his eyes to the power of the photographic image.

In 1947, Liebling joined the Photo League, a socially minded collective of photographers who fanned across New York to document hidden corners of the city. For Liebling, children surviving the rough-and-tumble city streets became a symbol of fortitude. “Their faces could inform all that they felt, from grace, to reflective questioning, to supreme prescience,” he said. “Sometimes there was a hint of defeat, but more often there was improvisation and brilliance.” One Easter morning in Harlem, Liebling encountered a young child dressed in his Sunday best: broken shoe-laces, tattered trousers, a threadbare tweed coat and cap.  Hands buried in his pockets, the boy spread his coat open wide, and the click of Liebling’s shutter transformed him into Butterfly Boy. This image of a winged superhero who could soar away from his impoverished world has become a beloved icon, appearing on public posters and billboards in New York, Paris, Amsterdam, Japan and elsewhere.

In 1949 Liebling accepted a position teaching photography and filmmaking at the University of Minnesota. Twenty years later, he returned to New York to discover that the city of his childhood had vanished. ”I came back, and it was a disaster,” he said. Liebling’s 1970s photographs of the crumbling South Bronx depict a bleak realization: the Butterfly Boy may not have escaped to a better place after all. The young man in the picture Charlotte Street is trapped amidst ruins, in devastation as harrowing as Liebling’s wartime experiences. Despite their imagery of senseless destruction, his photographs reveal the ever renewing spirit of humanity pushing up through the cracks.

In the late 1970s, Liebling rediscovered the long-lost Brooklyn of his childhood in the oceanside neighborhood known as “Little Odessa” in Brighton Beach. He spent three decades photographing there in brilliant chromogenic color as the old wave of Jewish denizens gave way to the new wave of Russian immigrants.

Liebling’s daughter, filmmaker Rachel Liebling, says “There was nothing as exciting as wandering the streets of Brooklyn with my father.  He found mystery and intrigue around every corner. The people on the streets – with their indefatigable energy and their human foibles – became larger-than-life through his lens. Human struggle took on mythical proportions; the perseverance and ingenuity of everyday people was heroic in his eyes.”

281 Comments

rssComments RSS   transmitTrackBack Identifier URI

dong ho

It’s laborious to find educated folks on this subject, however you sound like you understand what you’re speaking about! Thanks

Trackback by dong ho on November 29, 2017 6:22 am

gối lười

I’m impressed, I have to say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough individuals a…

Trackback by gối lười on November 29, 2017 7:00 am

nha dat

There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made certain good points in features also.

Trackback by nha dat on November 29, 2017 7:24 am

thung xop gia re

It’s onerous to find educated individuals on this matter, but you sound like you recognize what you’re speaking about! Thanks

Trackback by thung xop gia re on November 29, 2017 9:16 am

thung carton gia re

I’m impressed, I need to say. Actually rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the issue is something that not sufficient individuals a…

Trackback by thung carton gia re on November 29, 2017 10:37 am

seo companies in Tempe

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by SEO Services New York on November 29, 2017 10:52 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More on|Read More|Read More Informations here|There you will find 83506 additional Informations|Infos on that Topic: jeromeliebling.com/2015/03/22/jerome-liebling-brooklyn-and-other-boroughs-1946-1996/ […]

Trackback by Bdsm chat on November 29, 2017 1:12 pm

otomatis like facebook

I found your blog site on google and test a couple of of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. In search of ahead to reading more from you afterward!…

Trackback by otomatis like facebook on November 29, 2017 4:53 pm

dicas e segredos de maquiagem

very nice post, i definitely love this website, carry on it

Trackback by dicas e segredos de maquiagem on November 29, 2017 5:21 pm

click here

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I believe that you must write more on this subject, it may not be a taboo subject however generally individuals are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

Trackback by click here on November 30, 2017 11:16 am

check this out

You should take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will suggest this website!

Trackback by check this out on November 30, 2017 12:31 pm

… [Trackback]

[…] Find More here|Find More|Find More Informations here|Here you will find 99832 additional Informations|Informations on that Topic: jeromeliebling.com/2015/03/22/jerome-liebling-brooklyn-and-other-boroughs-1946-1996/ […]

Trackback by Diyala coehuman coehuman on December 1, 2017 3:46 pm

domino99

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by Domino qq on December 1, 2017 7:37 pm

Learning Colors with Paw Patrol

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in options also.

Trackback by Learning Colors with Paw Patrol on December 2, 2017 12:35 pm

Learning Color with elsa

I discovered your blog site on google and examine a number of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the very good operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Searching for forward to reading extra from you afterward!…

Trackback by Learning Color with elsa on December 2, 2017 1:24 pm

cheap emporio armani clothes

It’s hard to seek out knowledgeable folks on this subject, however you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Thanks

Trackback by cheap emporio armani clothes on December 2, 2017 2:53 pm

click here

Once I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any means you may remove me from that service? Thanks!

Trackback by click here on December 2, 2017 4:17 pm

That is the best blog for anybody who wants to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its nearly arduous to argue with you (not that I truly would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years…

Trackback by see more on December 2, 2017 5:30 pm

click here

Hey! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the nice data you’ve got here on this post. I might be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

Trackback by click here on December 2, 2017 6:09 pm

curso de maquiagem

You must participate in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will suggest this site!

Trackback by curso de maquiagem on December 3, 2017 4:45 pm

fiverr

Can I simply say what a aid to search out somebody who truly knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how to deliver an issue to mild and make it important. More individuals have to read this and perceive this aspect of the…

Trackback by fiverr on December 4, 2017 4:35 am

coupon code

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to find any person with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thanks for starting this up. this web site is something that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of original…

Trackback by coupon code on December 4, 2017 5:57 am

look here

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by bandar ceme on December 4, 2017 6:34 am

very good put up, i certainly love this website, keep on it

Trackback by see more on December 4, 2017 10:43 am

check it out

This web site is mostly a stroll-through for the entire information you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll undoubtedly uncover it.

Trackback by check it out on December 4, 2017 11:25 am

what is it worth

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by ceme online terbaik on December 4, 2017 5:57 pm

bandar ceme online

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by agen poker online on December 5, 2017 8:41 am

horoshevo.moscow

Jerome Liebling » Archive » Jerome Liebling: Brooklyn and Other Boroughs, 1946 -1996

Trackback by horoshevo.moscow on December 5, 2017 12:59 pm

super fast reply

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by dominoqq on December 7, 2017 5:22 pm

Trackback by Capsa susun on December 8, 2017 6:03 pm

click the next webpage

Jerome Liebling

Trackback by Situs Ceme on December 12, 2017 12:41 am

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.